We must carefully observe the eyes, ears, tongue, limbs, nose, skin and all other organs of our children for any suspected abnormality.
Two terms that may help parents are neurotic and psychotic. A neurotic person has some emotional problems that can cause inconvenience in daily life. These are problems with which they cannot deal on the basis of common sense because they are not aware of their existence. They will not be able to seek treatment themselves.
The psychotic person has problems that are deeply built into their total personality and are often of such early origin that they are unaware of the degree to which they handicap them. They rarely seek help voluntarily.
Any slight disorder that we observe should be referred to a doctor or other specialists who would be able to diagnose the problem and give us appropriate advice. As parents, we should be able to recognize any abnormality in our children and take the necessary steps to get professional help because early detection and treatment will help us avoid more serious problems later.
Successful parents will normally watch for and be aware of such signs of early disturbances in their children as:
- Wide swings in mood that seem unrelated to the environment.
- Unusual withdrawing from normal contacts with others.
- Persistent fearful spells.
- Increasing restlessness and sleeplessness.
- Signs that they feel too ―different‖.
- Unusual stubborn spells that bluster up unreasonably.
- Feeling unloved and unvalued as a person.
- Sudden or disturbing changes in attitude about sex, toileting or bathing.
- Change in school work to noticeable poorer performance.
- Cheating, lying or stealing episodes that are out of proportion to pressures.
- Lowered self-control and frequent temper flare-ups.
- Increasing hostile reactions to mild criticism.
- Crying and depression spells that are out of proportion to apparent causes.
- Excessive secretiveness on a frequent basis.
- Radical personality changes, usually following physical illness or injury.
- Excessive concern about health even when quite well.
- Lowering of attention span.
- Destructive or cruel tendencies.
- Even mild complaints that they feel themselves.
There may be other disturbing factors as well but having detected any one of these or a combination of these, the parents should seek professional advice to clear the doubts or cure the problems of the children. Let us look at a few ideas that could help parents develop certain skills, traits
If you have assisted your children to develop a high degree of accuracy within them then they will no doubt receive many of life‘s richest rewards. To develop accuracy of thought, craftsmanship and statement, it is wise to develop a sense of ―let‘s look it up‖ rather than giving and accepting guesswork and vague information.
Always give accurate answers to your children and provide them a good dictionary, an encyclopedia, an atlas and other reference books that they can consult to get accurate answers. If you have access to
Teach your children the penalties of inaccuracies. The children must be made aware of the endless confusion, hardships
If your children have learned to get along harmoniously with other children and people then you have done well as a parent. It is important to make your children conform readily to new situations, different circumstances and varied environments.
It would be helpful to ask your children to give you their suggestions during sudden misfortune, family emergencies and unexpected happenings. Take them to unfamiliar places and make them meet new people. Your relationship with your children should be one of mutual acceptance and unconditional love. Then your children will learn to adapt and adjust themselves to various conditions and situations in life.
It is important to remember that our children cannot be happy and emotionally secure unless they feel that they are loved and trusted. Without ―spoiling‖ your children give them an abundance of love so that they develop an affectionate nature for themselves and can trust themselves as well as their family members.
Your participation in your child‘s growth and development has to be ‗instant for the first time in history, the ability to learn anything -just in time, when you need it, as you need it, at your request and in your own way.‟ (Unlimited)